In the scene in The Incredibles where Helen (Elastagirl) is flying the plane, her use of radio protocol is exceptionally accurate for a movie. The terminology used hints that she has had military flight training. In the director’s commentary Brad Bird says that actress Holly Hunter insisted on learning both the lingo and its meaning.
- “VFR on top” means she is flying in the regime of Visual Flight Rules ‘on top’ of a cloud cover.
- She requests “vectors to the initial”, or directions on how to get to the initial landing approach.
- “Angels 10” is her altitude call, ten thousand feet. This is a military term. Civilian flights use the term “flight level”.
- “Track east” is her direction of travel.
- “Buddy spike(d)” is a US military brevity code meaning “friendly anti-aircraft radar has locked on to me, (please don’t shoot)”.
- “Transmitting in the Blind Guard” is a call on the emergency frequency where 2-way communication has not been established.
- “Abort” is also a military brevity code, a directive meaning “stop the action/mission/attack”.
god i love when actors/ voice actors are intent on using correct lingo for things like this
its so easy to BS this sort of thing and sometimes it might work but it’s vastly more impressive when they actually use correct terminology
She also uses the handle “India Golf Niner-Niner” or, in the NATO Phonetic Alphabet, IG99.
The Iron Giant (1999), also directed by Brad Bird.
If you liked my blog for one fandom.... I'm sorry but it doesn't work that way.
when i was 9 i went to a baseball game and i thought it would be really cool if i caught a baseball there but i didnt so when i got home i took one of our baseballs and wrote game ball on it so i could tell everyone i caught it and then i modeled with it
maybe post limit is a good thing
omg a wine blog started following me because of this post i don’t know what they’re expecting
FIONA I’VE BEEN LAUGHING AT THE WINE BLOG FOR 5000 YEARS
you fuckers didn’t
i s2g if this gets 9k notes i’ll
please stop reblogging this it’s a pagne in the ass
diD YOU JUST
sorry that pun wasn’t that grape
john look over there
thats were your heterosexuality lies
dont touch it
it might come back
we dont want that
look at that guy on the left he is so photogenic i bet there is a stock photo of him laughing with a salad
fixed that for you
oh my god i found the post that started it all
dOES NO ONE MENTION THE FACT THAT THIS POST STARTED A MEME
the internet forgets nothing
it seems they were centuries ago that this happened
tragic backstories explain bad deeds but they do not excuse them
- tragic backstories explain bad deeds but they do not excuse them
there should be a word for platonic crushes
like when you want to be someone’s friend so hard
why isn’t that a thing
THIS IS BRAND NEW INFORMATION TO ME
WAIT UNTIL YOU SEE IT
me: *focusing on ben’s beauty* *reads “wait until you see it”*
me: see what?
70% of me is bad jokes and the other 30% is the hole where my soul should be